How to Apply for Certification
Bird Friendly Iowa, a community education and action program, mobilizes citizens and public officials who already know that birds are more than beautiful - they are an important part of a healthy ecosystem and critical to our quality of life.
Applications consist of two pieces of information saved as PDFs (these may be combined into one document using Adobe Acrobat) and a nonrefundable $100 application fee.
Your initial fee must be recieved before designation can be granted.
Although using the two tools provided below to create your application is not required, they will help you make certain you haven't missed including some critical information. Applications must be uploaded as a PDF using our website. If you have any problems, please send a note using the form on the bottom of the home page and someone will be in contact.
- Complete the face sheet and click the button to save it to your computer as a PDF for submission. This document creates these parts of your application.
- Community partners
- Checklist of criteria met
- Write your narrative. Indicate the criteria you meet and then complete the narrative. Be sure to Include copies of any supporting documents in pdf form, including quality photos, species lists, aerial maps, etc. You may reference reports and other publications by quoting from them, but do not attach lengthy documents. Save and submit as a PDF when you are finished. You may wish to use this template to get started.
- Protect, restore and enhance native habitat for birds and other wildlife
- Reduce threats to birds and other wildlife
- Educate and engage people in birding and wildlife conservation
When you have completed both pieces of the application, use the upload form to send both sections, either separately or as a combined PDF.
Once you have met the requirements and have been designated a
Bird Friendly City, submit a brief report (PDF format) illustrating in words and photos what projects helped you meet the criteria (parts of which may be copied from your application). These will be placed on our website to not only recognize your success but to help others meet their goals.