Bird Friendly City/County, a community education and action program of Bird Friendly Iowa (BFI), mobilizes citizens and public officials who already know that birds are more than beautiful - they are an important part of a healthy ecosystem and critical to our quality of life.
Initial certification and recertifications follow the exact same process with an annual application. Applications consist of two documents and a nonrefundable $100 application fee:
- Complete the application form and save it as a PDF for submission. This document creates these parts of your application:
- Community partners
- Checklist of criteria met
- In narrative form, address how your community meets the specified city or county criteria, designating the specific criteria you meet. Include copies of any supporting documentation from other entities.
- Protect, restore and enhance native habitat for birds and other wildlife
- Reduce threats to birds and other wildlife
- Educate and engage people in birding and wildlife conservation
Once you have met the requirements and have been designated a Bird Friendly City or a Bird Friendly County, submit a brief report (PDF format) illustrating in words and photos what projects helped you meet the criteria (parts of which may be copied from your application). These will be placed on our website to not only recognize your success but to help others meet their goals.
When both sections have been completed, submit your package (electronic PDF using the following form preferred) along with your $100 application fee. Make your check payable to "Trees Forever" AND write "Bird Friendly Iowa Application" on the memo line. You may submit your application using the form below. The contact person is assumed to be the application approving party or someone closely related. If you are unable to submit a complete electronic application (or can only submit a partial electronic application), please mail the other relevant information as well as your check to: