Any municipality in the state of Iowa is eligible to apply for Bird Friendly Iowa designation. A primary contact will complete the pre-application to set up a login for continuing. To start the process, determine who will be the official contacts and what community organizations will be partnering in this project. Study the criteria and select some that you will expand upon in your application. Note that the minimum number for reducing threats to birds is dependent on your town's population.
An application consists of:
- Complete the pre-application page of your intent to apply which includes the primary contact person who will also be the person entering the data on the web-based forms. You will set up your secure login at this time.
- Complete and submit the application informational sheet with contacts and partners and determine the criteria for each category where you will place your focus. Download the completed face sheet for later as well as the template for your narrative.
- Using the generated template for your criteria, describe in narrative form how you meet each one. Supporting documents are welcome.
- Write a short paragraph (500 words or less) marketing your community as bird friendly and submit your application as a PDF to Bird Friendly Iowa.
- Send an application fee of $100 to Trees Forever with a notation that it is for Bird Friendly Iowa.
The Bird Friendly Iowa committee meets monthly and all applications submitted in the previous month will be reviewed and acted upon at that time. You will then be notified of approval or suggestions for improving your application to meet designation standards.